TMD or TMJ Specialist in NYC
Your temporomandibular joint is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are in front of each ear. It lets you move your jaw up and down and side to side, so you can talk, chew, and yawn.
Problems with your jaw and the muscles in your face that control it are known as temporomandibular disorders (TMD). But you may also hear it (wrongly) called TMJ, after the joint. If you are having these issues, you’ll want to reach out to a TMD or TMJ specialist in NYC for treatment.
At JBL New York City, we specialize in temporomandibular disorders and will help you find the treatment that’s right for you and your situation. The sooner you start treatment, the quicker you’ll be pain free. Contact our office today for a consultation. We’d love to help put the smile back on your face.
Common symptoms include:
- Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
- Problems when you try to open your mouth wide
- Jaws that get “stuck” or “lock” in the open- or closed-mouth position
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth or chew. This may or may not be painful.
- A tired feeling in your face
- Trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite — as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
- Swelling on the side of your face
You may also have toothaches, headaches, neck aches, dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus).