Dental Implants NYC
Smile the way you used to.
Dental implants make it possible to replace teeth that are beyond treatment, improving your quality of life and reviving the functioning and aesthetics of your teeth.
Function and aesthetics with a true replacement with your tooth.
Dental implants function like natural roots to support the new teeth (crown), so when several teeth are missing it isn’t necessary to replace them all. In many cases a bridge will suffice.
Once the implant is in place, we recommend a period of 2-3 months of osteo-integration to allow the bone to ‘attach’ itself to the implant.
• First, the dental team assesses whether you’re a good candidate for an implant by examining the quantity and quality of the bone and using x-rays or a dental CAT scan to determine the location and the type of restoration that can go over it.
• If the location is in your aesthetic zone (toward the front of your mouth) and you have a high smile line, it’s important that the implant be positioned perfectly. Placing an implant is a time consuming surgical procedure.
• After the original tooth is removed, the area requires a three to six month healing period before the implant restoration can go in.
• During this healing time, the bone grows in and around the titanium implant creating a very strong support. However, if the bone or surrounding tissue doesn’t grow in as well as hoped, there are grafting procedures that can help with the soft tissue aesthetics.
Implants are right for you if:
• You’re missing one or more teeth and have enough bone in the area to accommodate the anchorage of the implant(s). If you don’t have enough bone to do the job, a bone graft might remedy the issue.
Advantages of implants:
• You don’t have to alter the adjacent teeth
• They’re easier to maintain. You can floss these restorations because they’re individual and not splinted in a bridge.
• Equal distribution of force (it’s less taxing on the neighboring teeth).
Disadvantages of implants:
• When it’s aesthetically important, it can be difficult to blend the soft tissue in naturally.
• Dental implants can sometimes be rejected, but this happens no more than 2 percent of the time. When it happens, the implant is usually replaced with another one that’s slightly larger. Smokers and diabetics have the highest risk of implant failure; with them, the likelihood of failure rises up to 8-12 percent.
• Implants can last 15-20 years.
Meet Dr. Victoria Laor
Dr. Laor is originally from Chicago, where she graduated from University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry at the top of her class.
She then completed a one year internship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Loyola University Medical Center and a four year residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Christiana Care Health Systems in Wilmington, Delaware in June 2009. Dr. Victoria Laor had the honor of serving as a Chief Resident in her last year of residency.
Since moving to New York City, Dr. Laor has worked in private practice and has served as Adjunt Clinical Instructor at NYU/Lutheran hospital and Volunteer Attending at Montefiore Medical Center. Holding hospital positions allow Dr. Laor to maintain her skills in facial reconstruction of traumatic Maxillofacial injuries and manage complicated facial infections. Dr. Laor actively participates in clinical education of Oral Surgery and General Practice Dental residents.
Dr. Victoria Laor truly loves her profession and loves taking great care of her patients. Her favorite procedures are removing impacted wisdom teeth and replacing teeth that are no longer serving the patient with implants. Dr. Victoria has extensive training in Implantology and Office Based Anesthesia. Our team of licensed and ACLS and BLS certified staff provide safe and comfortable treatment in our facility with use of Consious Sedation or General Anesthesia.
Dr. Victoria Laor is Diplomat of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Board certification denotes someone who has made significant achievements beyond the mandatory educational requirements of the specialty.
When not in the office, Dr. Laor spends time with her husband and their two little kids, she enjoys traveling to warm places and playing in the sand, cooking and baking.
For dental implants NYC, contact us today!